Friday, May 23, 2014

Five on Friday

It's been a busy week, and I can't believe it's Friday! Three day weekend coming up, and a short, birthday week next week! Waaaa-hooooo!!!

Here's what's in my brain this week!

**ONE**
You guys. I'm going to be photographed for the 4th Trimester Body Project. Have you heard of it? Basically, the 4th Trimester Body Project is the brain child of photographer Ashlee Wells Jackson. According to the website the project is "dedicated to embracing the beauty inherent in the changes brought to our bodies by motherhood, childbirth, and breastfeeding."

I've been following the project on Facebook for quite some time. The images Ashlee captures are absolutely gorgeous - moms of all shapes, sizes, ages, and circumstance. Sometimes on their own, sometimes with their kids - always a black and white image of women wearing black underwear and bra (or some topless). The images are so tastefully done, and provide such a beautiful glimpse at what bodies can look like after pregnancy and child birth.

As soon as I heard they were coming to Minneapolis, I considered doing it. But being photographed in my underwear? That's enough to make most people a little nervous. I've struggled with weight/body image issues for most of my adult life. I have, for my entire adult life, been considered "overweight" by the BMI scale. The ONLY time I was barely under that was when I was breastfeeding and training for a half marathon, and quite frankly not able to eat enough within the day to maintain a healthy weight.

So yeah, I'm nervous. But I believe so strongly in the mission of the project. And I want Linnea to grow up seeing me EMBRACE my body, rather than OBSESS over its imperfections. Especially after the miscarriage, I knew how important it is to honor and embrace my body as much as I can.

Stay tuned to hear more - the photo shoot is at the end of July!

**TWO**
Have you heard Sia's song Chandelier? (I don't know how late I am to this party.) I was exposed to it this week and I CAN. NOT. STOP. listening to it.

The song itself is awesome - a little bit haunting/weird. The video is down right bizarre. It's once of those songs and videos that I don't quite understand, but I can't get enough of.



**THREE**
I meant to post this last week...I've been thinking a lot about the world of social media. It's such an interesting beast. Through social media I've met people I likely never would have met, stayed connected with people I may have struggled to stay connected with, have shared major life experiences, gotten advice, etc.

But there is such a dark/dangerous side too. Social media has created a world of instantaneous judgement. You like a post, comment on a picture, share a link. You write your opinions on the latest election, or the juiciest piece of celebrity gossip, etc, and it's suddenly available for everyone to see to read, judge, like, share...

Further, social media creates a certain sense of anonymity and level of protection... people feel as though they can say ANYTHING with repercussion. People say things online that they would never say to someone's face (or at least I hope they wouldn't).

I really don't like this side of social media. I'm trying to be aware of my own habits, to not play in to this tendency.

I don't really have a point to this...I've just been thinking about it, so I thought I'd share. :-)

**FOUR**
A good example of the "staying connected with people I may have struggled to stay connected with" mentioned above are my awesome friends Bethany and Pam.

Bethany, Pam, and I met when we worked together at Augsburg Fortress Publishing several years back. After several years of working together, Pam and I moved on to other opportunities, while Bethany did an awesome job of advancing within the organization. Now Bethany's moving to Seattle, which prompted us to get together - for the first time since probably the last time we worked together (2008/2009).

So on Wednesday we got together for dinner at Pizza Biga in Minneapolis (Jeromy and Linnea joined in too). After dinner, we went to a local nail salon to get pedicures.

It was SO fun to reconnect - we picked up right where we left off, as in no time had passed. It was a good reminder to make it a priority to get together with friends, and not let time slip away.




**FIVE**
I ran for the first time in a very long time this week. Getting back to running has been such an obstacle for me. I hadn't been able to run - or even workout - at all when I was pregnant. And then when I miscarried, I was struggling to get motivated to get back at it. But I know that running and being active is such a critical part of my emotional health.

So I pushed myself out the door. I'm so stubborn that I set the bar high for myself - so my first run back was almost 4.5 miles, pushing Linnea in the stroller. It was slow - and we took a couple little breaks, but I did it it and it felt good to be back at it.

The goal for the coming weeks is to get back to a decent routine. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. The 4th Trimester project looks amazing! Good for you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete