Friday, April 11, 2014

14 in 2014 - #3 Complete!

#3 Finish - and order - Linnea's 1st year photo book

This one has been a LONG time coming. If I remember correctly, I started this book when I was in the midst of my 30 Before 30 Project (or shortly there after). It very quickly became bigger (and more expensive!) than I ever intended or imagined.

I set out to create a photo book/journal/scrapbook of Linnea's first year. So much happened - so many milestones, so many memories, and of course so many pictures! I wanted a place to put it all that could be a keepsake for us - and for Linnea too.

So I got to work on Shutterfly. And when I say work I mean hours upon hours upon hours. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist...especially with things like this.  I formatted and re-formatted pages. Loaded more and more pictures. Read blog entries to get my journaling just right. The pages started to add up, and by the time I was done I had almost 100 pages! Holy crap!

In case you were wondering, a nearly 100-page 12 x 12" book through Shutterfly costs about $200 retail. Also in case you were wondering, I was not about to pay that.

But as Shutterfly often does, they ran a great deal where I could get 50% off. After some encouragement from Jeromy (who is good at talking me down from the "I can spend that much" ledge), I submitted the order.

And just a few days later, the book came! Take a look at a few of my favorite spreads...






I am overall SO happy with how it turned out. It was worth all the time, and even worth the money (which is saying a lot). I was an editor in my "past life," and as my colleagues always said "once an editor, always an editor" - which means I've already found a few typos/errors. But I'm trying to focus on the end product as a whole.

One frustrating thing...as I was looking at the book I found that one of the pages had a smudge on the text. I didn't think much about it, but when a co-worker friend was looking at it she brought it up and said I should bring it to their attention. I think she was right - if I'm paying that much, I want a book that doesn't have any errors (or at least not any of their errors). I contacted Customer Service, and they immediately offered to send a replacement book at no cost. Although I didn't really feel like I needed a new book, I really appreciated it. I figured we could put one away for Linnea, or have a back up in case something should happen to one.

But then the replacement book came. Immediately I noticed that the quality wasn't quite as good. The colors weren't as vibrant. And while there was no longer a smudge, at least a 1/4 of the pages were cut poorly, leaving 1/4" or so of white space on top, and cutting off the bottom (which in some instances cut off pictures). This was worst than the first! I try not to be too picky, but again...I spent a lot of money, and I want it done correctly. So I contacted Customer Service again, and after a few back and forths, we settled on what I think is a fair offer. I kept both books, and got a 50% credit for the cost of the original book. I'll take it!

I will not do a book of this caliber for years beyond one for Linnea, but I will do something comparable for any children after Linnea. It was a lot of work, but in the end it was fun and absolutely worth it!

Next up is to make a book of our Puerto Rico trip - and cash in on some of that credit!

No comments:

Post a Comment