Monday, July 14, 2014

14 in 2014 Mid Year Update!

It's hard to believe we are (more than) halfway through the year! Ahhh!! It's mid-July!! Ahhhh!! Anyways, I thought since we've made it through half of 2014, it was time to check in on how I'm progressing through my goal list for the year. I'm off to a slower start than desired, so this might be a good kick in the butt to get going on some of these!
  1. Get up to 1,000 geocache finds We're yellow on this one...making good progress, but still a ways to go. We've gone from low-700s to mid-800s. Still 250ish to go, which is a lot...but attainable with some hard work. Many thanks to my awesome geocaching hubby who's been spearheading the movement towards 1,000. 
  2. Read at least 14 books I'll put yellow on this one too, although maybe orange would be more accurate. I have finished 4 books so far...The Red Tent, An Abundance of Katherines, The Fault in Our Stars, and The Art of Racing in the Rain. I've started Devil in the White City. So...I'm behind where I need to be, but trying to pick up steam. I've got several good book suggestions that are getting me motivated.
  3. Finish - and order - Linnea's 1st year photo book This was SUCH a fun project to finish. I worked so stinkin' long and hard on this. It's really rewarding to have it done. Now, to create photo books for years 2 and 3 (they will be much less involved!) Read my post about the finished here.
  4. Visit the Bakken Museum I'm not worried about this one. We'll for sure go...it'll just likely be a Fall or Winter trip. It's been too nice to be inside lately!
  5. Take a family trip to Decorah, IA Done - and we had SO much fun!! It was such a perfect weekend...we hope to go back more regularly moving forward! Read my post about our trip here
  6. Start and maintain a one sentence/day journal I suppose this one won't technically be green until the very end of the year. But I've been very diligently writing in my journal every night. In the few cases I've forgotten, I've written in it the next morning or evening. It's been nice - a very manageable way to keep this journal. It's really cool too, because it's a 5 year journal. It's crazy to think that Linnea will be 8 by the time I finish it!!
  7. Start and maintain a "Linnea says" journal I got this started with a freebie notebook I got at work...it's a good size with lots of space to fill. I tried my best to remember her funny quotes from earlier in the year. I haven't been great (yet) about maintaining it...but I'm working on it. 
  8. Set up giving for church Big old red, which makes me really mad at myself. This won't take that long. I think what's preventing me is that I feel like what we would give is so little...it makes me a little ashamed. I know that's really silly, and my pastor mom would scold me lots. I just need to get over it and do it.
  9. Commit 5 random acts of kindness Another big old red, which makes me mad at myself too. My goal is to do at least one by the end of the month. I've got a couple fun ideas ready to go.
  10. Make 20 new recipes in the year Well on track with this one! I've posted about the first 7 recipes I did here, and I've done 2 more since then. Woo hoo! It's been fun - which is a lot coming from non-cooking inclined me.
  11. Eat a Juicy Lucy at The Nook Again, not one I'm worried about...we'll do it...just haven't had the right opportunity yet.
  12. 50 blog posts in the year Only about 10 more to go! As I said when I initially posted this list, I knew that 50 was a very conservative goal. Still, I'm quite pleased that I will be hitting the mark much earlier in the year than I thought.
  13. Start and finish at least one sewing project Another one in the red. I've also been trying to work on my t-shirt quilt, without much luck. I get really overwhelmed with craft projects like this, so every time I try to sit down and work on it, I get overwhelmed, when I should just take it step by step.
  14. A new water sport opportunity (kayaking down the creek and/or stand up paddle boarding) The WOWZAs gave stand up paddle boarding a try as part of our cabin weekend, and we all REALLY liked it. I would definitely do it again, but either way, this one is in the green! Read about our adventures here
So not too bad...final count: 5 in the red, 6 well on track, and 3 done! Stay tuned for more posts about the specific items as they are completed. Also, if you have a book suggestion and/or a suggestion for an easy sewing project, please include it in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Rock star!! I have no doubt you can accomplish the rest by the end of the year!! I love all your goals. I think a "yearly" goal list is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete