Monday, March 17, 2014

Weekend Recap

In reading other blogs, as I've been working to figure out what mine could be like, I've found that weekend recaps are pretty common. Which is good...because let's be honest, if I were to recap my week, it would be pretty boring... most days are: wake up... work...play a bit...dinner...bed for L...crash and repeat. I'd love this blog to be part journal, so weekend recaps sound like a good plan! So here it goes...

On Friday, I made it home after a pretty good day at work, and Linnea was eager to play outside. I love that about my girl. She is SUCH an outside girl. As it's been warming up this week, she greets me at the door in her wellies, insistent that we go outside. Absolutely! So the three of us walked up and down the street a bit, Linnea on her beloved Radio Flyer worm. We stopped a couple times to splash in the big puddles, and then decided it was getting a little cold, so we headed in for dinner.

Enjoying the nice weather!

After our ravioli supper, and a bath and bed for Linnea, Jeromy and I settled in for an in-home movie date- Hunger Games - Catching Fire. I've read all three books, but wasn't a huge fan of the second two books. The movie, however, was well done. I joked with Jeromy that I have book amnesia (I seriously do!) and cannot remember the plot of books I read. So I couldn't quite remember everything that happened, which made the movie all the more exciting for me! Ha! The movie was accompanied by Jeromy's awesome stove top homemade popcorn. Seriously. Reason number 4,298,430 I love my husband - he makes really, really good popcorn. :-)

I was really excited because we didn't have any plans this weekend (see "Signs You Know You Are Old and Boring"). I get really stir crazy when we don't do anything in a weekend, but it's nice to not feel like we HAVE to be anywhere.

So we woke up on Saturday really early - seriously, why is it that during the week it's a battle to wake Linnea up at 6:00, and then on the weekend she wakes up at 5:30? I KNEW that she was not ready to be awake (nor were Jeromy or I), so I managed to convince her to just "rest" and let her take her (which is actually my) Frozen book to bed with her. She read for a little bit, and then sure enough fell fast asleep for another hour and a half or so. Mama victory! Bonus: she was MUCH happier when she woke up the second time. We played at home a bit, read Frozen another 375 times, and then decided to go to the History Center.

I've created a monster...

We are members again of the MN Historical Society, after a year or so hiatus. Jeromy is a big history buff, and loves being able to support the society. And I, the penny pincher, like that if we go 3 or so times to a historical site/museum around the state within the year it pays for itself.

We puttered around the museum for a couple hours. They do a good job having kid friendly exhibits to help hold the attention of little ones. Certainly, Linnea doesn't care or understand the history component - yet. But it's nice that it's a fun place for her to go...so that when she does understand, she'll enjoy it!

Ringing up Daddy's ice cream sundae in the Greatest Generation exhibit...


Calling Grandma and Grandpa on the old-time telephone...


Riding on the airplane. When we asked her where she was going, she said "Puerto Rico." Do you think we've talked about our trip too much? ;-)

We had a quick lunch at Noodles (a Carlson family favorite), and then headed home for naps (plural because I took a little one too). After naps we ran a couple errands (Home Depot and Target), and then came home for a bit more play time and dinner. I cooked (you'll learn this is not common place), making a new recipe for my 14 in 2014 (Chicken Parmesan). It turned out well...stay tuned for a blog post covering it in greater detail.

After getting Linnea to bed, Jeromy and I had ANOTHER movie date (suddenly there are actually movies at RedBox that we are interested in seeing!). This time we saw About Time - a drama starring Jeromy's celebrity crush and one of my girl crushes, Rachel McAdams. I really liked it. It was really sweet, and had a GREAT message, especially at the end. I won't spoil anything, but the main character suggested we live each day as if we are reliving it - free from the worry and the stress...free from the hustle and bustle....free to enjoy and savor each moment. It really, truly spoke to me, and I hope will stick with me for a while.

Sunday was another slow morning. Our church was putting on a musical - one of the performances was in place of the late service. We don't usually go to the late service - it was really nice to have a little extra time in the morning. The musical was fun - Linnea really liked the music - she danced and clapped a lot. After church, we headed home for lunch and nap for Linnea. I went out and ran errands - which was a total bust. I went out for three specific things, and they did have any of the three things I needed. Arg! I made it home just in time for Linnea to wake up. She woke up before she was ready and had a total meltdown. We are talking beyond tantrum - like a "call the exorcist" kind of meltdown. Honestly those types of meltdowns are totally alarming to me. Usually Linnea is a pretty happy, easy going kid. But during the meltdown she was SCREAMING, kicking and flailing, and really hard to calm down. It took a bit - but she turned around - just in time for our friends the Imbodens to come over!

It's always fun to have them over, especially because their daughter Azalea is just a little older than Linnea (and their new little guy Ashford is pretty awesome too!). The girls had a great time running around and playing together (bummer, no pictures!), and we enjoyed pizza from Fat Lorenzo's, one of favorite pizza places in the city. They left, and we gave Linnea a quick bath and put her to bed. Then the two of crashed for the rest of the night.

 Sunday night was a big move for us - Linnea went to bed nuk-less. We've beaten the nuk habit in every other part of the day except bedtime. As I put Linnea to bed I saw that the plastic of her nuk was all torn up...legitimately torn up. So we talked about how it was broken, and we threw it in the trash. Last night actually went really well...minimal fussing going to bed, and then just one short wake up in the night.

As I type, Linnea is finally setting down after a rough time. Lots of tears. Lots of delaying. Lots of sadness for mama. I think she's finally out. Fingers crossed we make it through the night, and that tomorrow is better.







1 comment:

  1. Excited you are doing weekend updates! I hope to be better about them again now that all my days won't blur together :) It was great to see you guys this weekend, as always!

    ReplyDelete